Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

questions about filters...

justin

24 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
justin Basic Member
Sun 31-Dec-00 01:00 AM

Hi Nikonians!
I'm starting to get involved in this filter/no filter/which filter debate. Now I have a couple questions (maybe they've been asked already, but I haven't seen the message...):

1) I don't own any filters as of the moment (i just got an N65 and love it so far), but want to know if I should get a filter just to protect my 28-80mm lens (isn't the lens cap good enough?). If so, this would be a UV filter, correct?

2) Do brands really matter? I checked out the B&H site, and for my N65, they recommented a "General Brand 58mm UV Protector Filter - Glass" for about $11. What is 'general brand' supposed to mean? (it sounds kinda like a joke

3) What size filter is good to use. I've heard of 58mm, 56, 60...Clearly, not all would fit on the lens, right?

4) I get the idea that having a cir polarizer is useful for certain situations, am i correct? Would 'general brand' be adequate for this purpose as well?

5) Where do you guys usually buy your accessories, equipment? From places like B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com)?

G