Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wow! Nikon makes a THICK polarizer!

BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Fri 08-Dec-00 04:33 PM

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-00 AT 07:04 PM (GMT)

I innocently bought a 77mm Nikon circular polarizer from B&H. This is by far the thickest filter frame I've ever seen - the filter projects 12mm beyond the mounting threads. It's beautiful with a wide knurled rim for turning the polarizer, but I'm very concerned that the filter will vignette on my 18-35 zoom. I'd certainly never get away with using two filters... this one filter is thicker than a single filter and a thin mount B+W filter combination. Has anyone used one of these on a Nikon superwide zoom? I wish Nikon had some web information on their filters - I wouldn't have ordered this one if I had an inkling of it's thickness.

I just mounted the filter and realized that the filter is wider than the mounting thread size, like a step-up ring. The paper specs don't mention what the larger front thread size is, but they discuss two optional lenshoods designed specificaly for this filter, one for tele lenses and one for wides. This is too strange for me...

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

G