Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Slide Duplication Lens Accessory

vikenk

Boston, US
433 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vikenk Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2007
Thu 10-Oct-13 01:32 AM

Hello Everyone,

Not sure which forum this belongs in so I picked this one.

I recently had a new urge to digitize some of my old slides. I don't have that many to do, possibly 300 or so. I have an old Minolta Scan Dual II film scanner but that's pretty old by today's standards. Besides, I'm not sure it'll even work on Windows 7.

So I plan on using my D300 and I'm not sure which lens to use.

I have seen the Bower slide duper as well as the Nikon ES-1 and I wonder if those would work with any of the following lenses that I own:

Nikon 16-85
Tamron 28-75/2.8
Tokina 50-135/2.8

I figure that these are my best candidates for slide duping work. I wouldn't want to buy a 50m or 55mm lens simply for this purpose.

No matter which lens I use, my plan is to put the camera in manual mode and fix the aperture at f/8. I have a Visual Plus light table that has a 5000K color temp. I'll do a custom WB and meter off a grey card, and, holding the camera up against the light table (on a tripod), I can just put the slides in one by one and snap pictures. I can tweak RAW files later.

Any advice on which slide duper to use? I don't really want to buy a scanner since I don't have thousands of slides and I don't want to end up with something that's going to collect dust when I'm done

Any advice on slide duping would be nice as well.

Thanks.

--
Viken K.
http://www.vikenk.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G