Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

When filters attack

adrianclark

Epsom, UK
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
adrianclark Registered since 22nd Jul 2013
Thu 22-Aug-13 01:38 PM

Fully aware of the pros/cons, I usually keep UV filters on my lenses... mostly just to provide an extra physical barrier.

So I almost cursed my own cautiousness the other day... as my D7000 (in well-padded holster) swung on my shoulder and quite gently came to rest against the car door, I heard a "K'CHK" sound I wasn't expecting.

Opened up the holster, to find a pile of sparkly dust where my UV filter had once been

Getting every tiny fragment of glass from the lens has been a challenge, and annoyingly there are now some tiny, tiny scratches on the front element. Fortunately, it's only a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, so not a tragedy if I have to replace it.

Not sure if this was a warning against using cheap filters (it was a Kenko) or just a freak weakness in the glass, or just weird bad luck

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: When filters attack