Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What GND filters and holder to start with

Jamed600

Naperville, US
490 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jamed600 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013
Tue 02-Apr-13 05:34 PM

I have never used GND filters but would like to buy a couple to start and learn with. I have read the articles above and several threads below but still have questions. I am very much an amateur, recently bought a D600 and will use filters mostly with 16-35 F4 so need 77 mm adapter and wide angle to preclude vignetting. Reviews seem to favor Lee and HiTech (yes, Lee often hard to get) so I am focusing on those two and will probably start with 0.6 and 0.9. My main questions concern the holders and adapter rings. I want 4X6" filters for verticle flexibility. Different online sellers say the 4X6 is compatible with the Cokin P sizes. Others say it is compatible with the Cokin Z-Pro?? The Cokin holders get mixed reviews so I question whether either type is the best choice. A HiTech package offers their plastic holder but that holder also gets mixed reviews. The Lee Foundation seems to have the best reviews. It is the most expensive but that's okay if the quality is there. With the Lee & 77mm wide angle adapter will I be okay re vignetting with 16mm? How about the appropriate Cokin? If I buy the Lee Foundation will HiTech 4X6 filters work. I ask because for two reasons. The Lee filters are listed as 2mm thick but I cannot find a thickness for HiTech. Secondly, Lee lists their "4X6" filter as 100mm X 150mm while HiTech lists theirs as 101.6X 152.4mm. Here I worry about mixing filter pan brands having I one either bowed or worse sliding out of the holder. Ideally I would like to be able to mix different brands of filter but the holder I buy may limit me. This turned out to be rather long winded so sorry but will appreciate your patience in reading and any help/advice. Regards, Jm B

G