Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Usefulness of Graduated ND plate filters

Mako

US
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Mako Registered since 02nd Apr 2009
Sat 26-Jan-13 06:59 PM

Greetings,

I've been enjoying landscape photography for several years using a D90 and a 10-24mm Dx lens plus a host of Singh-Ray filters including the Vari-ND, Cokin filter holder and a collection of Graduated ND P filters. I'm finally upgrading to a D800 and looking to outfit my venerable 14-24mm f2.8 with a comparable filter system. I believe I'm fairly up to date on the filter systems currently available. I'll definitely be using the filter holder for ND (stoppers) filters.

QUESTION: Given the wonderful dynamic range of the D800 + the advanced capabilities of Lightroom 4.3 and Photoshop CS6, particularly in recovering highlights and extracting details out of shadows, do you find Graduated ND plate filters less useful and perhaps more trouble to lug around and hassle with nowadays?

My OBJECTIVE: 1) save money; 2) reduce the amount of gear to carry. Those 150mm plate filters are a pain to stuff into my overstuffed pack and I'm afraid they'll break.

Thanks much,

Geo

Geo
www.geolightstudio.com

G