Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

4x5 vs 4x6 Filters

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Thu 15-Nov-12 05:05 PM | edited Thu 15-Nov-12 05:07 PM by nrothschild

I'm using 85x110 P size grads now (HiTech). Having a 16-35 now (and 24-70) I would very much like to move to the larger 100mm format. I'm basically happy with my 3 HiTech grads (2 stop hard and soft, 3 stop hard). I've never tried a Lee. I'm also not excited about getting into a line where the sheer availability makes one forget all reasonableness and order with abandon .

I need to decide on a holder, either the Lee or new metal HiTech holder. If anyone has directly compared, or has opinions on the "hold-fastness" of either one, that would be helpful.

Also anyone that has used the standard 77mm adapters on wide and ultra-wide lenses, along side the "regular" adapters (at half the price), it would be nice to have some opinions as to the relative benefit of paying double for an adapter.

My other major decision is 4x5 vs 4x6. Is the extra inch of length actually useful in the real world? I know more never hurts, but I like to know why I'm spending a lot extra (35% for HiTech) on something.

For anyone interested, my Cokin single slot 85/P adapter does not vignette noticeably on either the 16-35 or my 24-70/2.8 AFS as long as it is exactly lined up with the frame (straight horizon). But as soon as I swivel the adapter I get dark corners. So I think it is usable in a pinch and with that limitation, but not ideal.

I have a Cokin 3 slot holder somewhere that I need to dig up but I am quite sure it will not work well on either lens at the wide end.

my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 4x5 vs 4x6 Filters