Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Singh-Ray variable ND filters?

RCFSRD

Meriden, US
108 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RCFSRD Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2009
Wed 10-Oct-12 11:39 PM

I want to begin the journey into ND filters, as I have none. I am orienting toward screw-ins, rather than a holder system. Step-up rings would allow me to use 1 size of filter on all my lenses. They would be used primarily for waterfall shots to slow the water movement. Some have suggested biting the bullet and going for a variable ND filter like a Singh-Ray, so that you can dial in (actually, twist in) the exact amount of ND you desire, from 2 stops to 8 stops. But they are $400. Others have suggested starting with a 2-stop or 3-stop filter and building a set over time.

Any points of view on either the approach (variable vs. set-building) or the brand (Singh-Ray)?

Thanks!

Rod

"A first grandchild is the best reason to get a new Nikon..."

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Singh-Ray variable ND filters?
          Reply message Thanks, Ernesto. A pattern of opinion seems to be emer...

G