Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Criss-Cross pattern with Kenko 300 PRO 1.4 and Nikkor 500mm f4

spanishflyer

Sevares, ES
27 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
spanishflyer Registered since 25th Dec 2011
Sun 22-Jan-12 04:07 PM | edited Sun 22-Jan-12 06:57 PM by spanishflyer

Dear friends,

I've had the manual focus 500mm f4 Nikkor for less than a week and I'm "thrilled to bits" with it. It takes a while to learn to focus constantly and have the left hand on the lens adjusting as needed. My eyesight on the other hand isn't that great now that I'm not as young as I used to a couple of years ago..., but still, I'm sure I will come to terms with this HUGE lens some time soon.

I've been using my Kenko 300PRO 1.4 teleconverter for ages with my Nikkor AF 300 4.5 and the results were and are great both in colour and contrast, but now with the 500 I get this weirdest "criss-cross" effect that I don't like a bit and have no clue why it's happening. The pictures I have added are both crops from the original exposures; one (the robin) without the Kenko and the other with the teleconverter (from 500 I get 700mm).

Has anyone experienced this with the same or other teleconverters? My guess is that as experts say, the teleconverter amplifies the lens defects and the manual nikkor 500, being that old could suffer from this known issue when using it with a teleconverter, more so if it is not an original Nikkor accessory. On the other hand, my Nikkor AF 300 4.5 is also very old, so I'm left quite baffled.

Any comments will be appreciated. Tried to hang a couple of pics with the topic, but it didn't work, so I created a new album in my galleries "criss-cross pattern..." Pls. take a look

Spanish Flyer

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G