Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Sign up Login
Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help wanted...Which Polariser?

David M

Chester, England, UK
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
David M Basic Member
Fri 20-Oct-00 03:33 PM

Hi folks, this is my first posting on Nikonians - there's some incredibly useful stuff on this site, keep up the good work!

OK, my problem - I bought an F90x with 28-105 F3.5 - 4.5 Nikkor zoom a few months ago, and I have to say I am incredibly impressed with it, especially the metering which has yet to let me down - I was accustomed to bracketing with my old Olympus OM2 but find I waste film now if I bracket...

When I bought the lens, I got a Hoya standard issue circular polariser, 62 mm to fit the lens. Trouble is, at the 28 mm setting, it vignettes, dark shadows being visible in the corners of my trannies. especially at F8 or smaller.

The options I have considered are:
1/ Get a super-slim screw-in polariser from Sigma, Hoya or Nikon (are theirs all that slim?). But these things cost crazy money, I think around £100 here in the UK. Plus, how can I be certain they won't still vignette? (and yes, I do remove the UV first!!!).
Has anyone any experience of these on this lens?

2/ I have the Cokin P system (I think it's the 'P', anyway, the intermediate size one) and I could buy their circular polariser, but again, will it cure the problem - certainly the filter holder appears in the corners if it's not mounted straight...?

3/ I am contemplating buying a Nikkor 24 mm F2.8 AFD. What's the best polariser for it, one that will avoid the vignette problem? Is there a 52 mm one out there slim enough, or would my existing 62 mm one work with a step-up ring? Again, what about Cokin?

Lots of questions for someone to get their teeth into, hope I didn't bore you too much.

Any answers much appreciated...