Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your Thoughts On Color Enhancing Filters

periopnurse

Oak Harbor, US
74 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
periopnurse Registered since 18th Oct 2008
Fri 20-Aug-10 03:32 AM

Fall is fast approaching and was thinking of grabbing a color enhancing filter for capturing the beauty of the season. Singh-Ray has the color combo filter which states that it boost earth tones as well as green tones. I see the B+W, Tiffen, etc have specific color enhancing filters (red enhancer, green enhancer, blue enhancer). I was wondering if I could get some information about:

1) The usefulness of these filters....... some say they aren't necessary since this 'pop' can be added post in software. Just read a luminous landscape article which made this recommendation.

2) Color cast issues with the use of the filters... are they present, and how 'correctable' are they..... is the cost/benefit worth the extra trouble?

3) Are the filters worth having in your gear bag, and if so, which setup (color combo or individual color enhancer filter). The singh-ray is nearly $400, while each color specific filter is approx. $70 ea.

I live in the Pacific NW (north of Seattle) so I'm thinking that the color enhancing features could be used to add more vibrancy and color at other times due to the overcast nature of our weather. I do a lot of forrest hikes, so there is always lots of green in my photos.

Thanks for you opinions in advance...... Nikonians is such a valuable source of info. I lurk and read more then ask, but still learn tons about my gear and techniques.

Leon

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Your Thoughts On Color Enhancing Filters

G