Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Multi-Coated vs. Single-Coated Test Results

zucchini

San Francisco, US
231 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zucchini Registered since 04th Mar 2002
Wed 16-Jan-08 01:19 PM

Hey All,

Here's my side-by-side comparisons of the 62mm Tiffen non-coated UV filter, $14.95 against the 62mm Nikon L37C multi-coated UV filter, $33.95. All tests were conducted on a N80, Nikon 70-300ED f/4-5.6D lens at 70mm, with tripod, no-hood.

Test 1: I shot a picture of the blue sky with enough angle to start to get a little flare. As you can see, the Nikon (pic. 1) keeps the flare relatively well controlled, but the Tiffen (pic. 2) fails miserably. Both were shot at f/13, 1/750, Kodak Supra 400.

Test 2: I shot a picture of Pac Bell park, and you can notice that the Tiffen (pic. 2) has a problem with the reflection coming from the metallic seats in the lower left corner of the frame. Flare again. The Nikon (pic. 1) doesn't really. Both were shot at f/11, 1/90 sec, Fuji Reala 100.

Test 3: I shot a picture in a room with various items and a small amount of light. When metering A-mode at f/32, the Tiffen (pic. 2) showed a solid 4 seconds, but the Nikon (pic. 1) wavered between 3 and 4 seconds, showing that it was allowing in more light. Notice that the first (Nikon) image has deeper shadows and fuller colors. Both were shot at f/32, 3 seconds, Fuji Reala 100.

That's all. Let me know if you've got any questions or need any other data!

Jason
-------
"Film is cheap, opportunity is expensive."

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)