Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Would a ND Filter help ??

Marjani

Cocos (Keeling) Islands, AU
3641 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter Member
Fri 16-May-08 03:14 AM

I have two situations and being technically challenged figured the best place to start would be here. I'll plead total ignorance here so please be kind with your answers

1) I'm often requested by friends to take their portraits late in the afternoon. The sun is still strong (say f/16 @ 1/100 ISO 100) and even when I up the shutter and reduce f-stop, I find my SB800 is still not strong enough to light their faces. Of course they don't want the lovely ocean background blown out :/ . Would a ND filter assist in this situation by being able to drop the F-stop down to say around F5.6?? and giving the SB800 a better chance to light my nearly black subjects?? I have been experimenting with off-camera flash and I do realise that experimenting is something I need to do more.

2) Similar situation, but using the filter in order to slow the shutter to obtain the "candy floss" type of water swirling around the rocks??

If a ND will work, would you be able to suggest a brand and strength required. It is not as if I can visit a camera store and check it out, living where I do, so I really need to rely on you good people for some assistance.

Hope the above makes sense and I do apologise if I have caused confusion (which I usually do.....)

Cheers from the sandbar - Karen

Best Fishes ~ Karen <*((---{

Waving the flag for Nikonians on the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and learning every day.

Karens Cocos Reflections gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Would a ND Filter help ??

G