Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB 28 + umbrella reflector or big soft box ?

gewe21

Milwaukee, US
197 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gewe21 Basic Member
Mon 11-Feb-02 03:21 PM

Hi fellow Nikonians,
Does anyone in this forum ever use this technique ? My favourite subject is people + portait. I'd like to get a big bright catch light on the subject eyes using a large reflector, because using flash alone would only create small dots/ hot spots on the subject's eyes.

I read this link http://www.lanset.com/rcochran/flash/ , and am interested in trying this method. However, I'm not sure about a couple of things:
1. I will use my speedlight (SB-28, and Metz 54) instead of a real studio lighting as the light source. Is it better to use umbrella type reflector, or a large soft box ?
2. What color of umbrella should I pick, or how should I decide ? Should it be silver, white, or translucent, or the combo (translucent + black cover) ?
3. How big should the umbrella / softbox be ? I like to get not only head and shoulder shots, but also full body shots.
4. I would need an SC-17 sync cord, right ?
5. The link above shows the setup for an umbrella. Does anybody know how to do it with a softbox ? The setup / hookups, clamps, etc ?

All inputs are greatly appreciated, Thanks.

George Oei

George Oei
Madison, WI
"Dude, you're getting a Nikkor !!!"

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SB 28 + umbrella ...