Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB-700 Sensor Window Location?

Jamed600

Naperville, US
487 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jamed600 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013
Sun 17-Nov-13 05:12 PM

I am new to Flash Photography but would like to learn. Two questions:
1. The Sensor window is located on the right side (looking from the back) of the flash and I assume when the flash is used as a slave it must be in line of sight of the Pop-up flash being used as the commander. Therefore the SB-700 would have to be mounted to the left of the camera. Now if I wanted to add another SB-700 or 910 on the right side would that flash receive the commander's signal because the sensor window would be pointing away from the camera?
I guess the one on the right could be mounted pointing away from the subject and into an umbrella as long as the umbrella didn't block line of sight to the commander?
2. If I am shooting Aperture Preferred the viewfinder will show my F stop, ISO and I assume the shutter speed that is set the for available light but not the speed that will be used when the flash fires. Is there a way to know this before the shot or must I just take a test shot and then read the file data?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G