Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Different ratios within the same group?

NickMilner

Manchester, UK
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NickMilner Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2013
Wed 14-Aug-13 05:10 PM | edited Wed 14-Aug-13 05:10 PM by NickMilner

Hi all, this is half a question and half just me thinking out loud. Either way I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience!

I have two Metz 44 AF-1 flashes which are compatible with Nikon's AWL system but they're hard-wired to Group A (all channels) and can't be changed.

My understanding is that since the two units can only be controlled as a single group my options are somewhat limited if I want to set a ratio between the two. For example, if I want to do over/under clam-shell lighting with a stronger overhead light, or I want monster lighting with a start overhead light and a softer light just on the face, or a classic key/fill combination, or any one of a million other configurations!

- If I use TTL lighting the system will automatically set the power of each flash to evenly light the subject, which isn't necessarily what I want.

- If I set them to manual mode then they will be fixed at the same strength but I can break out the inverse square law and use distance to generate a differential. This could be my only realistic option.

- I could put some kind of barrier in the way of one of the lights to cut down its illumination. Not really a fan of this option.

Are these the only options? Am I missing some flexibility within the AWL system? It would be great if I could set the flashes independently to manual, which would allow me to set different powers on each, and just use the commander to trigger them but I don't think that's possible (as soon as they go into remote mode you lose any way to configure them directly on-flash). This seems like an obvious limitation to me.

In reality I have a little more flexibility because I also have an SB-700 I can set on Group B, but fundamentally I have a maximum of two "tune-able" configurations, especially since both the D7100 and the SB-700 only support two groups so I'd like to see what flexibility I can get within a single group.

Thanks for any advice you may have! Apologies if this question has been asked before - I did a search but couldn't see anything obvious.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Different ratios within the same group?

G