Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Strange observation of Speedlight operation

Craig Bennett

Rio Rancho, US
64 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Craig Bennett Registered since 28th Oct 2012
Wed 26-Jun-13 07:50 PM

Something that has puzzled me in the past, but since I updated my PW firmware yesterday and ran tests, decided to narrow down this strange behavior.

When using a SB-9xx for a Master on camera, turn off remote lights via the menu, but leave the Master flash in TTL mode. Take a photograph. Now, turn the flash to normal (non-master mode) and keep it in standard TTL mode. Take the same photograph (under same conditions). To get the same exposure (and correct one) when the flash is in Master mode I have to give it + .7 FEC. I cannnot see any reason why there should be any difference between Master in standard TTL mode and Flash in standard TTL mode?

In the past, I noticed this during wedding receptions when I turned off my remotes and used the camera's flash for main light. I though it was the PocketWizard, but it turns out the flash behaves the same regardless of communications used.

If I turn on the remotes, the flash on the camera in TTL mode seems to operate correctly. Though I need to make additional tests to verify this.

Anyone have an explanation for why Master TTL flash mode and Non-Master TTL flash mode are different?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Strange observation of Speedlight operation

G