Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Program mode versus manual in flash photography

Nikon32250

St. Augustine, US
4033 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004
Tue 21-May-13 12:51 AM

Up til recently I have set my D300 to manual mode when using an SB800. I usually set a shutter speed of 1/125 and adjust the aperture on the fly depending on the distance to subject. The strobe is set to TTL FP. This can be a bit of a hit or miss with some over and under exposures.

The last couple of times I set the camera to Program mode and the camera seemed to do a more consistent job with the exposure. The scenarios are social events where the people are moving around at various distances from the camera.

Is "P" a more reliable mode than "M" or do I need to do a better job in Manual mode?

Thanks!

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Program mode versus manual in flash photography

G