Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fill Flash In Strong Backlit Conditions

richlewt

UK
30 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
richlewt Registered since 24th Oct 2012
Mon 29-Apr-13 11:41 AM

Hi
I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer some advice for the following scenario.
I am soon to take some wedding beach photos soon. I will be using D7000/SB700 and have a hand held meter capable of measuring flash.
I would like to maybe have a backlit shot on the beach with the sky properly exposed and natural looking fill flash on the bride. I guess (using sunny 16) I am going to be around 1/400th at f8 iso 100.
I can take a reading from North sky which will get that part right and obviously will underexpose the subject. I could set flash to auto and play with flash compensation but I want something a bit more controllable.
My meter can measure flash and give the % of ambient to flash, I would like the flash to be no more than about 30% against the ambient.
So is it a question of setting camera at 1/400th f8 (this will engage FP flash setting), setting light meter speed to 1/400th and adjust the flash distance so that the meter reads f8 30%?
Thanks

Cheers
Rich

G