Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Indoor portrait lighting for Asian skin tone

bluefeather505

Albuquerque, US
16 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
bluefeather505 Registered since 10th Apr 2013
Wed 17-Apr-13 05:56 PM | edited Wed 17-Apr-13 06:02 PM by bluefeather505

Hi Folks,
First let me say that during the brief period of time that I have been a member of Nikonians, I have found so much useful and enjoyable information. This has to be the best photography site anywhere.
Now, let ask a question.
In mid September, my wife's, who is a Vietnamese person, entire family will be flying in for a the wedding of one of her nieces. The wedding itself will be shot and video'd by a pro, so I am off the hook there. I will take my Nikon D7100, of course and concentrate on getting some good candids and such, no real pressure there.
My real work will begin when everyone is back at my Sister-in-Laws and my folks will be looking for a few nice group shots and individual family portrait style photos (incandesant light).
Because, by blind luck, I have managed to get a few decent shots of some of them outdoors, they think I know what I am doing(NOT).
So anyway, I want to do a very good job for them, as a get together like this is a rare occasion.
What I am concerned with is setting up to get a nice skintone. Mostly their complexions range from just off white to full nut brown, medium brown to almost black eyes and jet black hair. Even in the magazines and photography forums I have viewed, the asian skin tone seems to be elusive.I am looking for soft and natural, with a decent dynamic range.
I have test shot my wife and some of her friends and ended up with orangish-brownish tint that did not do justice.
I will be using a Nikon D7100 (I have 35mm f/1.8 and 18-300mm Nikkors at hand) and a SB700 speedlight. I have several diffusers and a softbox for the speedlight,I can use it on or off camera, and I have till September to sort this out. I don't mind doing homework
If anyone has any suggestions as to a good starting point or guideline,
I would truly appreciate it.
I am but a humble shutterbumbler but I will do what I can to give something back to this fine site.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Indoor portrait lighting for Asian skin tone