Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

no commander mode?!? what to do instead?

shady757

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
shady757 Registered since 04th Mar 2013
Mon 04-Mar-13 05:47 PM

I'm no pro and I have a very simple lighting setup that I use ALL the time for some tabletop shots of things my wife sells on Etsy. Basically I just use the built-in flash (commander mode) to control a single SB-600 wirelessly.

Turns out my little daughter got hold of my camera and now my trusty ol' D80 is in need of some repair, but instead I was thinking it's time to just upgrade to a new body. I was looking at the new D3200 and D5200 and almost bought the 5200, when i luckily noticed on a review that Nikon chose to get rid of commander functionality of all of the lower level cameras. AND they took away the motor to run AF on older lenses! This is a total bummer - a) i have a couple older AF lenses i love, but most of all i used wireless commander mode ALL THE TIME. Seems to me the wireless commander function is software and a really petty and crappy thing to get rid of.

Anyway, does anyone know of any possible way to still get these cameras to do wireless triggering? firmware modifications or anything? I know that's a stretch probably...

If no, is my only choice going to be getting some pocket wizzard thingy? I know NOTHING about them and would be starting from scratch here. Can you possibly recommend a simple and inexpensive version of a wireless trigger that would work with a sb-600?

Thanks in advance for any advice people might have...

also upgrading further to the d7100 or 7000 is not an option - its much bigger, way heavier, and way too much money (even though it solves everything as far as commander and AF motor). I use my cam as a family and vacation and all around thing - so cant upgrade to anything too fancy here.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: no commander mode?!? what to do instead?

G