Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Good Luck with Flash Bracket

Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Fri 17-Aug-12 03:52 PM | edited Fri 17-Aug-12 05:39 PM by Bravozulu

A month ago I telephoned Al Jacobs after seeing his website:

http://www.aljacobs.com

Al is a commercial pilot and has been a pro wedding photographer in Florida for decades. His website has deep resources/info about flashes and accessory equipment. With some tutorials. He makes and sells external battery packs for Nikon speedlights, including the Black Box (big, powerful) and the Tuxedo which can fit in a vest pocket of a Tux for wedding anonymity. His own gear is all Nikon.

All is a big fan of Custom Brackets products. Sold by BH Photo and Adorama and local camera stores. They are high end brackets, finely machined and fitted. But pricy. I telephoned Al to ask about cheaper alternatives. He told me about the Vello line of shortened TTL cables that substitute for the expensive SC 27/28 cables from Nikon.

These little shorties are great to use with a Paparazzi-style bracket. At BH Photo an Asian knockoff of the Custom Bracket, and the Vello cable cost me $18. They work flawlessly.
The ergonomics of this kind of rig might not please everyone. You have a firm hold on your camera/flash, but your hold on the flash end, while firm, feels rough and primitive. The butt end of the bracket pokes into the left palm. And you are holding on to the cold shoe, mount knobs and the bottom end of the strobe.

I guess some similar flat brackets come with a plastic pistol grip on the side. I saw these at the local camera store, but worried that they might bump into people/things to my left in a crowded room. Ruining a shot. Or even worse – might snag the clothing of bystanders.

I'm a little sleepy right now and have to get my day going. But I'll post photos of the gear in an hour or two. And I'll look up the receipt for the name of the $9 bracket.

From sunny Santa Monica.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Good Luck with Flash Bracket

G