Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Problem with built in flash as commander

GJW_2012

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
GJW_2012 Registered since 10th Aug 2012
Fri 10-Aug-12 03:40 AM | edited Fri 10-Aug-12 06:58 AM by GJW_2012

Hi all,

My goal is simple but causing me problems: I want to fire my external SB-700 and capture my image *without* the built in flash firing in the picture. The problem, especially with portraits, is that when the built-in flash fires to trigger the SB-700 it creates a lot of unwanted light and additional catch lights in the subject's eyes.

Please excuse me if I'm missing something obvious. I've tried adjusting all the 'Flash control for built-in flash' settings (e3 on D7K) using built-in flash mode '--' and Group A 'TTL'. The testing that I did caused more confusion as I got inconsistent results - sometimes the built in flash would fire in the picture and sometimes it would not - all with the same image composition, ambient lighting and camera/flash settings etc.

I don't want to spend another few hundred on pocket wizards as I've seen this work on other Nikon systems and I've now witnessed it on my own system.

Totally confused. Any help is much appreciated!!

Gerrard

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Problem with built in flash as commander

G