Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
reuben

Mayo, US
10639 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Donor Ribbon awarded for his extraordinary generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 21st Jan 2004
Sun 11-Dec-11 11:20 AM

I was shooting an event a few days ago and my SB900 started acting wonky. Sometimes it wouldn't fire, or the shot would be extremely underexposed. Turning the flash on and off seemed to help, but not much. I was using it as an on-board flash with my D3.

Of course, when I tested it before I left home everything worked perfectly.

I changed batteries, kept turning it on and off, reseated it a few times, 2 button reset, etc., but to no avail. It was not overheating. The flash icon in the D3 viewfinder, was red. At home I've tried two speedlights on the D3 and the icon is red in both cases, but green when I put the speedlights on my D700, so the root of the problem could be something with the camera, not the speedlight, although I can't find anything in either manual or online explaining what the red icon means.

I suspect that they're not communicating properly through the hot shoe.

Any hints, pointers to pages in a manual, etc., would be appreciated.

Simplify

Cormorants

G