Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario

Abedirov

Moscow, RU
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Abedirov Registered since 28th Jun 2011
Tue 01-Nov-11 10:52 AM

Dear All,

This is my first post at Nikonians, although I have been reading these forums for several months.
I am a beginner with D7000, 35 1.8DX and SB700. I learn by taking photos of may wife and my new born son (3 weeks old) mostly indoors and have couple of questions about the off camera flash use:

1. What flash mode to use? I have read several books and my understanding
g that I should use normal sync in a dark room e.g., at night and slow plus rear sync mode if I take pictures during daytime and want to take into account ambient light. Correct?
2. What is the optimal position for the flash unit? I use one off camera flash, so I put the SG-3IR infrared filter to block light from the built in flash and put SB700 to the left or right side of the subject. But where exactly shall I put it? Which angle to the subject? Which height? My understanding is that the flash should be positioned higher than the camera. Is this correct?
3. Use of diffuser. I normally put the supplied diffuser on the flash and point the head at 90 degrees. This is the advice of Mike Hagen and I follow it blindly (yes, I do own a copy of "The Nikon Creative Lightning System" which is an excellent book, but does not answer all the questions).

I have tons of other questions, but would like to get some answers to the above ones first.

Thanks in advance,
Aziz

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario

G