Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB900 getting hot too soon

Jenniferlynch

US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jenniferlynch Registered since 28th Aug 2010
Sat 28-Aug-10 06:01 PM

Hi,

I just switched to Nikon and am getting familiar with equipment. I used my new SB900 for first time last night with a portrait shoot outside. After only about 15 minutes of shooting I began hearing beeps and the thermal cut-out symbol appeared on the screen and the flash shut down. This happened for the remainder of the shoot. I would turn it off and in time get a few more flashes before it shut down again -- over and over.

I was using it fairly consistently for fill and to balance subject with very bright background. No exposure comp or, if so, minor.

Seems the flash should last at least for an entire shoot -- not overheat after a short time. I checked book and I was not in a multiple-flash mode on flash or multiple-frame mode on camera. As far as I know I was in standard mode all around and in TTL.

I was using newly-charged (but not new) nickel-metal hydride batteries.

Wondering if the flash is defective or if I am doing something to cause it to overheat so quickly. Thanks!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SB900 getting hot too soon
Reply message RE: When I recently did tests
                                                  Reply message RE: SB900 Arbitrary Thermal cut-out.
                                                  Reply message RE: SB900 Arbitrary Thermal cut-out.
Reply message RE: One thing that does not seem to have been mentioned
Reply message RE: One thing that does not seem to have been mentioned

G