Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Portable studio with Two SB-80DX's?

emachuca

Merida, MX
296 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
emachuca Registered since 25th Sep 2002
Wed 04-Jun-03 01:46 AM

Hi,

I've been reading the posts and answers about multiple flash. I have an F80/SB-80DX/SC-17 sync cable and was wondering how to "replicate" studio ligthing with two SB-80DX flash heads.

If I understand correctly, if I place one flash on the F80 hotshoe, that will be the master flash, and the remote, a slave unit. But what if I want to have the master flash at 45 degress or away from the camera, and the fill flash on or next to the camera? (just like a normal lighting setup)

Say, should I use the SC-17 cable from the hotshoe to hook the main flash remotely (at 45 degress from the subject) and then send back a SC-18 cable from the main flash to the fill flash next to the camera? can I connect the SC-18 directly to the input of the fill flash or do I also need the AS-10? considering both flashes are SB-80DX.

Now the tricky question. With the above arrangement (if it works), if I use Matrix and Program mode, will the main flash behave as a main light and the slave flash as a fill light??? Or should I be worrying about manual setups for flash output and spot-metering?

For a studio portrait I don't mind about manual setups and using a flash meter as there's time; but in quicker situations such as weddings or photojournalism, will it work with Matrix/Program? My intention is to replicate Main/Fill lighting on the go.

Sorry for this lenghty message but I already read the SB80 manual several times and the messages on this forum and searched the web for info and can't still find my own answer.

Thanks a lot!

eMac

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary code and those who don't.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Portable studio with Two SB-80DX's?

G