Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Gossen Luna-Pro F Meter Problem

AHB

US
59 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
AHB Registered since 25th Sep 2008
Wed 23-Sep-09 11:09 PM

I picked up one of these meters inexpensively on ebay recently. I've wanted a decent meter for manual off camera flash work for sometime, and I couldn't resist the price.

So it's in great shape. Incident/reflected light seems to agree with my Nikon D300 within a quarter of a stop or so -- consistently -- when used on a gray card. This is great.

However, using it in flash mode doesn't seem to work. I've been messing with it for about 3 days now and the best I can do is get the needle to come about 2 stops shy of incident light levels without flash. So it is sensing the flash (flash is enough to trigger a reading), but the reading is just off completely. It's off by about 5 stops or so, I think.

I've tried it every possible way I can think of. The only way I can get it to do anything interesting is if I point it directly into the flash. And that gives me a reading that isn't useful at all, but it does saturate the meter (yippee).

Anyways, I think the flash portion of this meter needs calibration. Anyone experienced this before?

I've read there are 4 calibration controls on the inside of this meter. If they are labeled obviously, I wouldn't mind trying to play with it. I suppose the 4 controls would be for flash and ambient high and low calibrations (2 modes, high and low for each = 4 calibration screws). Do I take a Sunday afternoon and give it a try?

G