Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Setting FASTER Synch Speed on my F5 with the SB800

Mantova

UK
123 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Mantova Registered since 23rd Oct 2004
Tue 23-Jun-09 11:28 AM

Hi everyone, need some help here....

I'm having a frustrating time with Flash (SB-800) on my Nikon F5 !! When I'm shooting Weddings and my adrenaline is pumping, I need to use 1/125th of a second shutter speed to avoid camera shake with my 28-70 f2.8 AF-S lens.

The "default" shutter speed selected by the F5 when in program Mode while using Flash indoors is 1/60th of a second - too slow. If I switch to shutter priority and select 1/125th, the camera selects f2.8, which doesn't give enough Depth of Field. Selecting f4 in Aperture Priority stillr esults in 1/6th !! I thought getting faster film (from 160 to 400 ISO) would change this, but it doesn't.

If I adjust the shutter speed in flexible program mode, it resets itself back to 1/60th as soon as the meter shuts down. I tried using the Custom settings for the F5, but this changes the FASTEST shutter speed selected and I want to change the SLOWEST.

Am I missing something ? If the flash works at 1/60th at f5.6 with ISO 160 film, it should be fine at 1/125th at 5.6 with 400 ISO. How can I make this happen ? If I were to manually set the shutter and aperture, would the flash still operate in "Matrix Balanced Fill Flash" mode ?

I defintely DO NOT want to end up in "complete manual" mode with separate metering and flash - I couldn't cope with that along with the stress of shooting a Wedding in a fast, candid style !!

Thanks for your help,

Mantova
Life is for Living !!!!
The Alpha and the Omega - Nikon F, F6

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G