Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

CLS was invented by God himself!

97C5L

US
112 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
97C5L Registered since 05th Oct 2008
Sat 01-Nov-08 03:24 AM

Ok, so I exaggerate a bit but I just took some of my best portrait pictures ever with 2 remote SB600s, a 3ft and a 4ft umbrella and my trusty 17-55 mounted on a D300. There wasn't anything left for my SB800 to do so it sat this one out.
I used the onboard flash as commander only, with the 4ft umbrella high front left and the 3ft umbrella to the right of the camera at eye level. What fun! As always I shot RAW and thanks to the information from some of you in this forum I dialed in a +1 on the key and a -.3 on the fill. Perfect. I cropped a bit, added a bit of exposure comp an a couple and just a tad of USM but by and large everything came out nearly perfect straight out of the camera.
I'm tickled pink, if you can't tell!
Lessons learned:
1. Stop down for more DOF when shooting active 2 and 3 year olds.
2. Forgedaboud a tripod for the same reason.
3. Use an extremely sturdy system of holding up your backdrop for the same reason.
Thanks to those of you who responded to my initial queries a week or so ago. I've learned so much and had a blast applying some of that today!

--When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.-- Edmund Burke

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: CLS was invented by God himself!

G