Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to use Speedlight with BOTH SD-8 and PC cord?

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Wed 11-Jun-08 01:44 AM

I'd like to use a speedlight off-camera with a nondedicated PC cord (such as the Nikon SC-15) while using the SD-8 battery pack. I'm not sure how to do this.

Here's the thing: the SD-8 uses the speedlight's pc socket, so it's not available for the PC cord.

I can't use the SC-17 because the flash is going to be attached to a softbox that relies on the shoe mount as the means of connection to the bracket.

Photoflex: http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_Products/LiteDome_xs_Accessory_Hardware___Adjustable_Shoe_Mount/index.html

Now I'm not sure what to do. I ordered one of these thinking it might help: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89996-REG/Hama_HA_6963_Multi_Sync_PC_3x_Adapter.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/ But I'm not sure. I also don't know if I have the correct cord. Moreover, what if the signals get crossed between the SD-8, camera, and speedlight while routed through the multi-sync adapter???

I need the correct setup by Friday. I've thought about maybe getting an SC-18 TTL cord and using the SC-17 as simply an adapter placed in the camera's hot shoe. But realistically, I can't get one that quickly. In addition, even if I did get an SC-18, how would I disable the TTL metering (to bypass the camera's sync speed and set a higher speed (my camera has an interline transfer CCD and can actually sync higher than the rated sync speed).

What a mess! I was thinking about using the SD-8 battery pack without the PC lead, but who knows what that will mess up! AN AS-15 won't help either.

What I need is a device that attaches to the hot foot of the speedlight via a single-pin hot shoe, offers a PC socket, and a cold foot with a built-in screw to tighten it down to the Photoflex bracket!

Advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Nikon user since 2000

G