Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What exactly is sync speed?

jaymor

199 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jaymor Basic Member
Sat 18-Aug-01 12:44 PM

in flash photography, does a camera only have one sync speed or is it a range 'up to' it's advertised sync speed? for example, my n80 has a sync speed of 1/125. does that mean the shutter speed 'always' stays at 1/125 whenever the built-in flash is activated as well as when a flash is attached to the hot shoe? or does the camera choose the fastest shutter speed (ie. in aperture or program mode) but only up to 1/125? actually the n80 manual says that the sync speed is 1/60 to 1/125. which makes it more confusing.

if it is variable, can i control it by changing aperture if i place the camera in manual mode (i vaguely understand that aperture is related to the flash power as well as distance)? are the rules the same as in non-flash photography except my shutter speed only goes from bulb to 1/125? the questions in my mind go like this:

' will the shot be blurred if lens focal length
is greater than 1/125
. what about action shots needing faster speeds
above 1/125
. if i make aperture smaller to gain dof will the
shutter speed stay at 1/125 or will it go down
making the shot vulnerable to camera shake

thanks for this site! my pictures have greatly improved from using what i have learned from everybody here.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What exactly is sync speed?

G