Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Understanding Wireless only CLS/D70s - do I have this r

Abouna

US
246 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Abouna Registered since 30th Jul 2004
Mon 04-Jun-07 02:09 PM

I've been deliberating on my upcoming lighting purchases. I currently own an SB-600 but want to add another strobe. Cost being a factor, my options have been:

-add an additional SB-800, for obvious reasons

-add an additional SB-600 plus an SU-800, a bit more money but more control at the expense of a bit less power

After doing some more forum reading this morning I think I stumbled on the answer but would like it confirmed.

Am I correct in that if I want the system to be completely wireless AND iTTL compatible, I will need to go the SU-800 route? In other words, if I shoot primarily off camera strobes (which I intend to do as most of my work will be umbrella'ed product shots) the SB-800 will not work in Commander mode unless I am tethered, correct?

With this in mind id there any reason not to go the dual 600s and SU-800 route? Or is there a compelling reason to go the SB-800 route?

-----
FJ
www.benchcrafted.com

G