Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using 2 speedlights: sb800 & off camera sb600

diegonyc

1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
diegonyc Registered since 31st Oct 2006
Tue 29-May-07 06:06 AM

Hey guys,

Here's my dilemma... I want to get into off-camera flash photography and my biggest issue with the d80 and my sb600 is that when in commander mode, i have a hard time AFing undew low-light conditions. I have the option to enable the AF assist light on the d80 but it's a very harsh light. I really do not like it at all.
I know my options are to either buy the sc-29, which has it's own red AF assist beam which is easier on the eyes for my subjects or there is the SU-800 which is the same thing but wireless for 3 times the amount of money. If im going to spend that much for wireless, i might as well get another speedlight (sb-800).
Now my question is, if I do get the SB800 speedlight and use that on camera as a master and use the sb600 as slave, will the sb-800 still fire a flash in order to communicate with the slave? im trying to avoid another pre-flash from firing from the camera. all i want is the red beam to help me AF easier under low light conditions. the sc-29 will help me do that but it's not wireless.
i hope i didn't confuse u guys...
any help would be appreciated!

-Diego

G