Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SC-S9 & SB-800 - Flash not firing at full power

Agent360

4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Agent360 Registered since 13th Aug 2006
Thu 12-Apr-07 08:01 PM

Hello,

I have two D70s cameras and one sb-800 flash and the SC-29 off shoot cord. All bought brand new.

My set up:
D70s, 18-70mm lens, turbo compact battery, stroboframe, sc-29 cord. Rig is assembled correctly. All cords are connected correctly and securly.

My problem:
The sb-800 WILL NOT fire correctly with the SC-29 cord attatched. I have tested and tested. Initially I thought I had a leaky capacitor in the sb-800. Reterned it. Got a new one. Same problem. No matter what setting...auto or manual or otherwise the flash will not fire with enough power to properly expose the subject. I simply get a very dark under exposed image. Hook the sb-800 directly to the camera hot shoe and it works perfectly. Use the cord and no worky.
Test the same set up with my second camera and I have the same problem. I borrowed another sc-29 cord from a friend and the same dam thing happens. I also tested without using the turbo. Same thing happens. And I have tried all of the above with 3 different lenses ( nikon and sigma). Still no worky if the cord is attached.

Conclusion:
The sb-800 is working correcly when attached to the camera hot shoe. Rules out the sb-800 as the problem.
Test with another known working sc-29 cord and same problem occures.
Test on my second camera and same thing happens. Rules out the camera being defective.

What in the heck is going on???????????

I am not having any focus problems.

I set the flash to manual 1/1 (full power) and the camera to manual and auto trying to force a full manual situation just to see if I can shoot an over exposed image with the flash. Camera shoots, Flash fires and the exposure is black in auto. Go to manual set a correct shutter/aperture for proper exposure with ambient light and flash to manual at full power.....no worky. It seems the flash is only firing a pre flash.

I push the test fire button on the flash and it fires at full output.

I have brand new batteries in the flash unit and fully charged turbo.

I can only conclude that there is some mysterious setting on the camera that I need to set. Except that I have been shooting with my camera for 3 years and know every freaken setting and how it works. Read every single page in the manual. Shot in every type of lighting. I can do amazning things "without" a flash.

I am so frustrated. I am now doing portraits and I can't do this without the flash.

Any help is very very much appreciated.

Agent360

G