Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone in favor of the Stroboframe Press-T bracket?

Yogi

West Hills, US
43 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Yogi Basic Member
Wed 16-Nov-05 05:57 PM

I currently use the Quick Flip 350 bracket on my D100 with MB-D100 grip and SB-80DX. Initially I was thinking of going for the Nikon SK-6 speedlight power unit set, but doubt it's utility as an effective flash bracket, other than the added flash battery capacity. Not to mention it's ridiculous price tag. Still if anyone wants to chime in favor of the SK-6, I'm still open to suggestions.

I was wondering if it would make a huge difference going to the Press-T, other than the more professional look and convenient rotation. The Quick Flip mounts to the left of the camera (looking from behind), and if I am not mistaken the Press-T mounts to the right and is a compact version of the Pro-T? Please correct me if I am wrong here. Assuming I am correct, the only reason I can think of for switching over to the Press-T is that in the vertical orientation I will rotate the camera anti-clockwise, thus enabling me to use the vertical shutter release of the MB-D100. At present with the Quick Flip I have to rotate the camera clockwise to be in the vertical orientation, thus rendering the grip shutter release useless. Apart from this difference is there anything else that would give me an advantage going to the Press-T?

One area of concern is with the Press-T mounted to the right, is there a sufficient gap between the bracket arm and the right hand side of the camera to hold it properly for horizontal shooting, or does it require a very big palm that needs to overlap the bracket arm so that the thumb is supporting the camera back, and then the index finger wraps around to the shutter release? That would be a little awkward and hard I guess, as I don't have a large palm.

I don't intend to immediately mount the Press-T (if I buy it) on a tripod, so at a minimum what additional accessories would I need? One that comes to mind is the flash anti-twist plate for the SC-17. Do I also need a camera anti-twist plate? If so, what is the corresponding Stroboframe model number for that?

I will highly appreciate if anyone can provide me with real working experience, pros/cons, balance and feel of the Press-T in regard to the above issues.

Thanks in advance,

Yogi.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Anyone in favor of the Stroboframe Press-T bracket?

G