Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Metering, Focusing, and other rookie questions

DanD50

36 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DanD50 Registered since 22nd Nov 2005
Thu 01-Dec-05 11:11 PM

Hello Everyone!

I have a few questions that I can't find answers to in the D50 manual. I am hoping that all of you might be able to lend a hand (keeping in mind that I am new to SLR photography and I have the kit lens).

1 - While using spot metering and manual focus what spot does the camera meter? The center, or whichever of the 5 focus areas is selected?

2 - While using manual focus and either center weighted, or matrix metering what purpose do the 5 focus areas serve if they are not being used for focusing or metering? Does it matter which of the 5 focus areas I select when shooting in this mode.

3 - When in either shutter priority mode or manual mode why can't I get my shutter speed turned passed 1/500? From the manual I should be able to go all the way to 1/5000 but I am maxing out at 1/500. Does the max shutter speed have anything to do with the lens? I know that the aperture bottoms out at like 5.6 because that is a limitation of the lens so is the max shutter speed related to the lens? If not then how do I go faster than 1/500?

4 - Focus - from what I understand the camera selects AF-A as a default and AF-A automatically selects between AF-S and AF-C. AF-S is designed to focus on a stationary object like a portrait or scenery. Can anyone give me an example of how they use AF-C? I understands that it tracks the subject that is moving and can better focus on a moving object so I spent an hour or so last night waving my hand in front of the lens switching between modes trying to figure it out. In AF-C how do I take advantage of this setting for taking good pictures of kids, pets, or other things that are never sitting still?

5 - Book - has anyone seen or used a book, field guide, video, or website that gives better step by step instructions on how to put some of the features of this camera to use?

Sorry to be so long winded but I really like this forum and I know that if anyone will be able to answer the questions of a rookie it will be all of you. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

Dan

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Metering, Focusing, and other rookie questions

G