Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which lens for close-up photos?

Cyttorak

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Cyttorak Registered since 29th Aug 2010
Sun 29-Aug-10 10:21 PM

I have a Nikon D60, and use it for close-up photos. This is still-photography and my subjects are 90% of the time about 2 inches high...the remainder may be even smaller, from about 1cm high to maybe 1/2 inch. I cannot get much closer than about 12 to 18 inches to the subject without difficulty.

I'm currently using the standard 18-55 lens that came with the camera, and while adequate, it's not fantastic. I would like tighter close-ups while maintaining a sharp focus but I don't know what lens to buy.

Macro lenses are the traditional ones for close-up work, but even a 60mm lens is about $400. I don't know if 18 inches is close enough for a 60mm macro to work well. Are there any other lenses I should be considering?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which lens for close-up photos?

G