Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dbuckenmyer

Jackson, US
86 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
dbuckenmyer Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2009
Fri 06-Aug-10 04:10 PM

I was shooting around the downtown of a local city yesterday when I noticed that my pictures were coming out quite dark even though they were metering OK. The histograms were compressed or clipped at the bright side and I would have to open up the f/stop about 2-3 stops to get the histogram over to the right edge. Even then, the right edge would be clipped. Any ideas on what is happening?

I have included examples of what I was seeing. The first example was as metered correctly at 1/250th sec (all shots are ISO 100, f/8, 28mm exposure compensation to direct sunlight, I can't remember if I had the circular polarizer on at this point or not), then I worked up the scale to 1/125, 1/80, 1/50. It was 8:00 am, sun-up at 6:00, and there were passing clouds. Not the brightest of situations, but certainly not dark.

The histogram for the first shot stops at 60% from the left edge to the right, the second about 75% left to right, the third, which shows to be the closest to correctly exposed in the histo is about 90% and the last starts at about 5% off of the left hand side to being clipped on the right.

I don't know how to show you the exif info, but I have seen members add it on for others, so if there is someone out there willing to do this it may help everyone. Thanks. Any ideas on what could be happening would help.

dbuckenmyer

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)

Subject
ID