Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why don't I listen?

pasknucklehead

US
1527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008
Sun 24-Jan-10 07:57 PM | edited Sun 24-Jan-10 08:00 PM by pasknucklehead

Oh my, you guys, expecially you Brian, are going to kill me. Well, I didn't listen and had to run right out and get my 300 thinking it would be good for me. Why didn't I listen to you all. It's crappy. For one thing, the lens barrel goes in and out and is noisy compared to my nikon 18-200 that has the internal focusing. Learned that pretty quick. Never even thought of the difference in how a lens has the focusing inside of it, compared to this one that goes in and out. Well, sat out on my porch, stuck in my little tent on this miserable rainy day, had my bead on a little titmouse and as soon as I hit the shutter, the lens barrel took off, and so did the bird. I guess I never really noticed that a lens could be so noisy. I got the sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 dg os from B&H photo. It's pretty, but I don't think I'm keeping it. I know I have 15 days, and I have been wracking my brains with comparing trees, houses and everything else to see if it is really making a difference as far as bringing things closer. I don't think it is. I think my brain is set on what a 500 could do and I'm going bonkers.
So, are we all in agreement that I should send it back? I took these shots of the elk yesterday, with the 300, and I will also attach one that I took with my 200 and I can see that if I'm close enough, they both will work. Why be out my $400 if I'm not gaining anything. I could just sit here and kick myself for not listening to you guys. Give me some advice. How bout for not a teleconverter for my 200 just so I can play with and see if I am going to really want to invest in a 400 or 500. I need some cheap options to get me what I want right now. And also, will my d40 support a 400-500mm lens?
Sorry guys,
Darlene
First I'm going to send you two photos I took and you can see what I'm talking about then, I will send over elk photos...

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Darlene

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G