The Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR ($469.95 US). This lens should be your first choice. Make sure that you get the AF-S VR lens. There is also a 70-300mm f/4-5.6G lens for under $200.00 US but that lens will not AF on the D60. It is also a lens built for low price not IQ (Image Quality). There are also two models of the 55-200mm lens, the one with VR is the better of the two at (approx. $190.00 US). How long of a zoom are you looking for? Good Luck and Enjoy!
What Marty said... but let's talk a little more about what sort of thing you want to do with a telephoto. The ones cited are great lenses but only do 70% of the tasks out there. Let's be sure that you aren't in the other 30%. (Probably if you are, you won't like the price tag, but that's better than spending $500 and then discovering that it won't do what you want.)
_____ Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member
My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!
Thanks for helping me. First of all, the lens doesn't have to
be Nikon. If there is good value from other sources, I'd be
interested. The less money spent, the better. I guess it's for
flexability, and not needing to change the lens too often. I
like taking people shots primarily when I travel, landscapes
would be nice with the same lens if possible, as well as
closups of people. Am I asking too much of one lens?
>Thanks for helping me. First of all, the lens doesn't have to >be Nikon. If there is good value from other sources, I'd be >interested. The less money spent, the better. I guess it's for >flexability, and not needing to change the lens too often. I >like taking people shots primarily when I travel, landscapes >would be nice with the same lens if possible, as well as >closups of people. Am I asking too much of one lens? >Jo
Now I'm confused. You said a telephoto...
Telephotos are designed to get close (objects get magnified so something far away is "closer", like sports or wildlife).
So if you want a telephoto, you need to know how long a reach you want, since 200 or 250mm might not be enough for some applications.
For a general "all-around", the 18-200 (Nikon/Sigma) and 18-250 (Tamron) (I think there's an 18-270 as well...but check the sticky post regarding lenses at the top of the forum) might suit you, albeit at the expense of some poorer image quality and also making your current lens (if it's the 18-55) redundant.
What about the55-200mm vr zoom? It seems to be half the price of the 70-300mm zoom. Is it much lighter, which is a big plus when I want a lens to stay on my camera much of the time? Also, will it do the job for the types of things I want it to do. Also are there comparable lenses to this from other companies than Nikon for less expense? Many thanks in advance for helping me to think this through. Jo
How much have you actually used your camera? The reason I ask is that the kit lens, 18-55mm will do fine for the things you mentioned. An 18-105 might be better, but the 18-55 is fine for landscape, portraits and people photos, unless of course you want to photograph people that are a block away.