Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
zukester

Southbury, US
103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
zukester Registered since 17th Jul 2008
Mon 15-Sep-08 11:41 AM

Hi All:

I have read in Photo magazine reviews on all sorts of Nikon DSLRs about ISO speed not affecting graininess. Well, this weekend I went late afternoon hiking, found an old sugar mill and other various objects as still subjects. Unfortunately, from some other shot I was testing I had it on ISO 1600 and forgot to change it back before the day's shooting.

In the view finder on the D40X it all looked fine, but that is tiny, and so I moved on and took more pics. In PS, the moment it got to full screen size it was just a pile of grain! Now from reading the reviews on many of these cameras, they say things like, "And at ISO 1600, no graininess and still sharp as ever!" I have seen this sort of review many times, but it baffles me.

What on earth are they referring to? Something I am not doing right?

Even long exposures on ISO 100 get graininess..or is it something I am doing wrong? I know in film this was always the case but these reviewers saying that it is not grainy and still sharp in digital like somehow this was all overcome...makes me wonder.

Here is just one of the pics.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/zukester100/still1.jpg

BTW I did the ziploc bag thingie.....works great!

Thanks,
Zukester

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: ISO speed