Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your "set it and foget" settings...?

TXCiclista

Fort Worth, US
1791 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TXCiclista Registered since 15th May 2006
Thu 31-Jul-08 04:30 AM

Tomorrow, my wife gets her new D60 (applause). After 7 years away from it, I may finally be able to get her back into SLR photography! Of course, havig been a D200/D300 owner for the past several years, I have become quite the snob (;)) and was horrified to notice the "Auto" setting on the main dial. "Auto? AUto!?!?!?! But but... You have A and S and M and..." OK, so my camera experience of learning the ins and outs of the camera will quickly tire my "I want to compose the shot, press the 'button' (we're working on "shutter release") and get on my computer what I saw through the lens" wife. And that's not a problem, because she does a good job.

So, what would you all suggest for settings that I dial in through menus, etc so I could just put it in her hands, wave and then unleash her upon an unsuspecting world? I don't want to set the camera up so "perfect" that she has to post-process it to death, think about DoF or worry about shutter speed and so on (I see "total control" as perfect while she sees "I never have to mess with it" as perfect). Or do "Auto" and all the various creative modes pretty much take that control away anyway, making most of the decisions for her? She really is far more artistically inclined than technique oriented.

-----
This is my Nikon. There are many like it, but this one is mine!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Your "set it and foget" settings...?

G