Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

'r05' text - D60 occasional shutter release failure

mrshift

Bristol, UK
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mrshift Registered since 28th Jun 2008
Sat 28-Jun-08 10:05 PM

Hi guys,

After some brief research, I’ve discovered the ‘r05’ error message isn’t really an error message, although I could be forgiven for thinking that, as it appears on the occasions when the shutter stubbornly refuses to release. It focuses OK, but there’s no acknowledging beep and the D60 just sits there, inert. It could be a strange coincidence, but sometimes by adjusting the zoom the D60 then cooperates and takes the photograph. (The camera itself nearly ended up being thrown from the top of an Austrian cliff after several of these failures, and some highly-frustrating missed shots.)

So, I’ve heard several solutions, but nothing definitive, so in no particular order, I’ll share what I’ve learnt to see if any stand out from people’s experience more than others:

1. Metering or Focus Mode. Are there any settings which are known to provoke this ‘refusal to shoot’ issue?
  2. Clean contacts. I’ve given the contacts on the body and lens several good goings-over, apparently to no avail.
  3. Speed of the memory card. I’m currently using the FujiFilm 60x 2Gb card that came with the camera – would this deemed to be too slow?
  4. Get official Nikon intervention. I might phone them tomorrow, and while their customer service was actually pretty good (from my experience), I’m not in a rush to parcel it all up as I’ve already had to send my older D70s back after the shutter release motor went. If there’s a quick fix here to avoid this, I’m all ears.

Well, thanks for reading, it’s appreciated – I just need to know my D60 does what it’s told and takes a shot when I need to!

Much obliged,

Andy.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 'r05' text - D60 occasional shutter release failure