Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

When to use a lens hood ?

brownnnikon

UK
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
brownnnikon Registered since 03rd Mar 2007
Mon 21-May-07 11:54 AM

Hi all

I recently joined the D-SLR ranks by purchasing a D40 ... love it !!

After a few months of getting used to the camera using the kit lens, (18-55mm) and with a holiday to the far east only weeks away, I decided I needed more of a 'take anywhere' lens. After researching what was available and physically trying a few lenses out on the camera, I decided to go for the Nikon 18-135mm lens. Apart from a little distortion at the 18mm end, I have to say I love it. The 18-55 is less distorted at 18mm, and so for that reason I'll still need it for the wide angle end from time-to-time.

Anyway, the question/point is this ...

The 18-135 came with a lens hood. I just stuck it on straight away and went off shooting. I was telling a friend today about it and he said that on a recent holiday he had used a hood with his 70-200mm lens (on a Canon EOS 350) and it had ruined a load of shots due to dark patches caused by the hood.

I can't understand why ! Could he have confused this with vignetting ? I couldn't see any issues on my shots.

So, when should I use the hood ? Are there guidelines ?

Help for a novice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Neil

G