Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Confused about exposure compensation with flash

Hamslay

UK
115 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Hamslay Registered since 01st Nov 2005
Tue 01-Nov-05 05:00 PM

While I continue to save for an SB-800, I've just bought a LumiQuest Soft Screen to try to calm down the harshness of the pop-up flash. The piece of paper that comes with the device claims that no exposure compensation should be required, but that's just not true. With the Soft Screen in place, pictures are just too dark. Time to tweak...

In the past I've used exposure compensation a fair bit (using the +/- button and command dial), and am used to the camera adjusting the shutter speed or aperture to alter the exposure. I believe one can adjust the power of the pop-up flash using the Flash exposure compensation (flash button and +/- and command dial) to alter the flash power. However, what I did in this case was to just use normal exposure compensation, and expected to see some evidence of the aperture or shutter speed changing, but I didn't. As anticipated, dialing in +2 EV fixed the lighting, but I'm confused just how it did it. The aperture couldn't have opened, as I was already at maximum. The shutter speed didn't seem to change - at least I couldn't hear that it was slower. So I can only guess that the flash power was increased, which would seem a logical way of increasing exposure in this situation. But if exposure compensation adjusts flash power when the pop-up flash is used, what is the flash exposure adjustment for, as it seems to do exactly the same thing!?

I could just leave it that it works, but it bugs me to not know what's going on!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash

G