Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Release priority and AF-ON vs. AF-S

sophrosune

AU
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sophrosune Registered since 08th Jun 2006
Wed 26-Jul-06 02:01 AM

I've been listening to the last couple of Image Doctor podcasts where they have been talking about sports photography and auto-focus settings, in particular the use of release priority and the AF-ON button for fast auto-focussing. They mentioned its applicability to the D200 and D2* cameras but I can't see why it can't be done with the D70(s) using AF-C mode and configuring the AE/AF button appropriately.

Maybe I don't understand how its being used but I'm wondering exactly what advantages the method described has over just using AF-S and relying on the half button press to lock focus. Sure, using AF-C and AF-ON will allow focus lock without actually having something in focus but I presume you need a subject that can be focussed on at some point in order to produce a sharp image. What about this am I not getting?

G