Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

One tough camera...

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 18-Jun-13 06:55 AM

My GF came to me in tears saying she ruined my D90 which she has been using for 6 months. She explained that she was climbing a set of marble stairs in a palace and it slipped out of her hand and fell and bounced down 15 steps on hard marble and landed with a thud on the marble floor one whole story below. She knew I loved that camera since it was my first DSLR after long film camera history. I don't use it much any more but when I did add a few to its 125,000 shot count, it always amazed me how good it was. She brought it to me and pieces of plastic she collected.
I inspected it, it is not a light camera with a grip with 2 batteries installed so I could see how they could be some damage. I could not find any scratches or dents and the plastic pieces were obviously parts of the lens mount on the 18-105 lens. With the grip it weighs about the same or a little more than my D800 without its grip.
I found that if I pressed and held the broken lens, everything worked including the lens. I brought it home to my workshop in the apartment and inspected it carefully, and mounted a 24 1.4 on the camera and tried a focus chart on the tripod......perfect.
I am not sure my pro D800 would have survived that fall but this series of D90, D7000 and D7100, I have no doubt are about as tough and reliable of cameras out there.
I often read how someone will only shoot some pro models because they demand a rugged camera. They did not study physics obviously or modern materials. The higher mass of a heavier camera requires more strength to survive a given impact or impulse and a lighter, lower mass camera needs less strength to handle abuse. Everyone has dropped their cell phone yet it is rare that one dies from it but drop a DSLR from the same height and big repair bills can be expected.
point and shoot cameras are very tough.
If I can find a Nikon independent repair shop who will sell a 18-105 rear mount collar, all will be back to normal. Otherwise she can learn a appreciate my spare 35mm prime. She keeps the camera on the Green Auto mode and the range of the 18-105 was perfect for her choice of shots so I would like to get that one running again.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: One tough camera...

G