Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D90 Pop-up Flash not working correctly

n6jah

Corona, US
77 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
n6jah Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2002
Sun 12-Feb-12 09:40 PM

Hi all,

I think my D90 pop-up flash is not working properly, and I will need to send it out for repair. I'm posting the symptoms just in case someone else has run into the same issue and has some insight.

The camera is under 2 years old, and has taken less than 5,000 shots. I have two batteries that are both in good condition.

I have an SB-600 that is about 5 years old, and I have used lightly. The batteries for the SB-600 are fairly new; I'm getting quick recycle times.

When I take a picture using the pop-up flash, it is overexposed by 4 stops.

I have my AE-L/AF-L button set to Flash Value (FV) lock. If I use the FV Lock, it fires the exposure flash and locks. The exposure is then at least 5 or 6 stops overexposed. If I undo and redo FV Lock, the exposure is OK.

I put the D90 and SB-600 in commander mode. I verified the group and channel settings match. The D90 does fire the pop-up, but the SB-600 won't fire.

While in commander mode, the pop-up will not contribute to the exposure regardless of how I set the internal flash mode and compensation. FV lock has no effect.

When I put the SB-600 on the hot-shoe, everything is working as it should.

I reset SB-600 and did both the "two button" and the "Reset Custom Settings" from the menu on the D90 to no avail.

So, that's my saga. I'm hoping someone will let me know the secret menu option to fix this. (Not holding my breath. )

TIA,
jim
.... . ... . . ... ... .... . .. ... .... .. ... .... .. .... ..

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D90 Pop-up Flash not working correctly

G