Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?

DaveSoderlund

Geneva, US
619 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DaveSoderlund Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 29th May 2010
Mon 02-Jan-12 07:02 PM

I learned about the wonders of auto-ISO when I took Steve Simon's "Mastering Your D90" workshop last year and I have been using it fairly regularly since then. I am headed for Venice and Rome next month and expect to encounter a lot of low light situations. I'd appreciate any insight and advice from anyone who has used auto-ISO on the D90.

First of all, I regularly push the D90 to ISO1600 when I need to, but I haven't gone above that. Does performance deteriorate markedly (increased noise and decreased saturation) at ISO 3200? at the H settings for ISO values above 3200? (I probably ought to try some tests myself, but I am not sure I'll have the time...hence the questions!)

Second, assuming Nikkor VRII lenses, what should I use as a minimum shutter speed to trigger auto-ISO? I'm thinking 1/30 sec would be fairly safe for most VRII lenses other than my 70-300mm telephoto. I don't think subject movement will be important most of the time. Obviously, I need a more conservative approach with non-VR lenses.

All of this assumes hand-held shooting -- even though I'll have a standard tripod and a Gorillapod with me, I know that I'll be shooting hand-held a lot of the time.

Thanks in advance for your insights and ideas,

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?

G